Am I my brother's keeper?
Attempt at a Family Portrait at
Misquamicut Beach, Westerly, RI
Today is Day 3 of Nora's latest imaginary brain child. Our house has been transformed into nueva york. We live in la casa de abuelita y abuelo. Nora has declared herself Edwin, a 3 year old boy whom my mom watches in her daycare in New York. She has declared Papi to be Abuelo and Mami Abuelita. Nehemiah is now Brian, another 3 year old boy in my mother's daycare. Yesterday, Nora was in the bathroom while I played with Nehemiah in the living room and called him by name. I was immediately corrected from down the hallway, "No, no, abuelita. Ese es Brian. No es Nehemiah." Right! It's hard to keep all the details of her creation straight. Today I called Nehemiah Brian and was horrified when he actually looked up in response. Best of all, Lavonne (the purple cabbage patch doll that Nathan is holding in the beach picture) also bears a new designation. She is Michael, an 8 month old baby in my mom's daycare. By the way, Lavonne shares so intimately in all of our family experiences that now even Nathan and I consider her one of our own. Lavonne is like our third child. Once I panicked in Walmart's parking lot when I realized we had abandoned her in the shopping cart. I was overjoyed and relieved when we retrieved her.
No comments:
Post a Comment